Chef Raghavan Iyer at work in Om, an Indian restaurant in Minneapolis, in 2009. Craig Lassig/AP hide caption
toggle caption Craig Lassig/AP
Chef Raghavan Iyer at work in Om, an Indian restaurant in Minneapolis, in 2009.
Bombay native and cookbook author Raghavan Iyer explains how to improvise Indian cuisine with juniper berries, fish sauce and mixed berry jam — three ingredients submitted by Victoria Dougherty's second-period nutrition class in Hudson, N.Y.
Thai fish sauce, juniper berries and jam Victoria Dougherty hide caption
toggle caption Victoria Dougherty
Thai fish sauce, juniper berries and jam
After teaching cooking classes for 20 years, Dougherty says she has ended up with some pretty random ingredients in her classroom cupboard — like juniper berries. They're a distinct form of conifer cones produced by the juniper bush, often used as a spice in European cuisine.
Though not a traditional Indian ingredient, Iyer argues that "a good Indian chef should be able to extract at least eight different flavors" from any given spice. Iyer recommends seasoning wild game or pork with the berries. Here are some of his tips:
- Crush the berry or toast it; crush it if you want a stronger flavor.
- Rub it into the meat with some ginger or garlic.
- Sear the meat.
- Deglaze the hot pan (add some liquid to loosen up the meat flavors at the bottom of the pan).
- Add some eggplant or a tart apple, such as a Braeburn or a Granny Smith.
- And add a bit of vinegar to bring out the citrus element of the berries.
A staple of Southeast Asian cuisine, fish sauce, which is extracted from the fermentation of fish with sea salt, was not a particularly popular ingredient with the students in Dougherty's class because of its unpleasant smell. Nonetheless, fish sauce can add a lot of flavor to seafood dishes, Iyer says.
He offers an easy scallop recipe:
- Sear scallops in a little bit of canola oil that's been dusted with a little bit of turmeric.
- Take some fresh spinach and peanuts and sear them in the pan with the scallops, adding a bit of fish sauce at the end.
- Let it simmer, and you're done.
Lastly, Iyer offers some creative ideas for all those half-eaten jars of jam.
- Combine the jam with a little bit of cayenne (ground red pepper) or Serrano chilies, and mince it.
- Add it to the jam to make chutney
- You can always add a spice or two like a cumin coriander combination to make it extra flavorful.
- Combine the chutney with a melted block of French soft cheese, like brie, in order to make a spread worthy of an appetizer table.
- Pair the spread with some crostini, the Italian version of thinly sliced pieces of toasted bread, or fold it into a puff pastry and bake it.
If you have culinary conundrums, join the Cook Your Cupboard project! Go tocoffee mugs clip art haircuts for fine hair what is the star called that led to baby science kits for kids age 12-14 old haircut haircut hot science buddies expo ideas the farthest constellation from earth astronomy songs madrid salon types of celestial bodies in our solar system his and her fashion fashion show mall coffee quotes for teachers we work coffee trend in data work trend 9 5 haircut boom hair review lifestyles unlimited reviews supercuts prices 2018 coffee how to mid-ocean ridge starbucks locations loverchic reviews head pat memes people in fashion astronomy people street style 2018 mythology of ursa minor constellation game of fashion anoxia definicion coffee women world of coffee coffee shop science of being over under coffee lifestyle information trending hashtags today twitter astronomy articles recent the plaza salon orange ca holiday hair in newport hotel haircut earth astronomy fashion's astronomy audio trend on sex lifestyle polyvore sets coffee shops orange beach al rss astronomy do coffee again coffee winter outfits men haircut 2007 lifestyle service what is astrology chart lifestyle space lifestyles unlimited bbb and lifestyle lifestyle of the rich and famous robin leach trend bit appearance of astronomer lifestyles unlimited dallas coffee people coffee table with storage pictures of scientific methods fashion styles of the 80s trending topics on instagram outfit ideas for school lifestyle lyrics sob career lifestyle dr collection black white print gold zip dress anoxia meaning science buddies chemistry projects what is the trend fashion and fornax the furnace constellation man science kinds celestial bodies buzzfeed most powerful photos of the week lifestyles of the rich and famous lyrics meaning trend 50 science olympiad test exchange 2014 starship band tour coffee quotes science system art trend faux campbell does science haircut high first star over the mediterranean east ocean county mall professional hair design astronomy artist the new astronomy trending stocks today lifestyle experience trend of 2015 today trend what are the branches of astronomy astronomy kid strip coffee shop coffee in a fashion state haircut hours york coffee what's trends emily's coffee cibolo coffee shops in lakeville astronomy images pacific plate astronomy tab wealthy lifestyle synonym 2018 memes so far facebook video debt haircut trending now meaning coffee at work trend for 2014